by Nina Pena on June 30th, 2015
E3 2015 in LA was a blast and the largest attendance I have seen ever. More than 52,200 video game professionals, analysts, journalists, and enthusiasts, representing 109 countries attended the Electronic Entertainment Expo (E3) the Entertainment Software Association (ESA) announced at the close of E3 2015.
On display at the global video game event were more than 1,600 products from 300 exhibitors. ESA, which owns and produces E3, also revealed that E3 2016 will take place June 14-16 in Los Angeles at the Los Angeles Convention Center.
I have attended E3 for cutegeek.com and SF Examiner a couple times and every time I over book myself or wasn’t cool enough. This year I made a change and I only RSVP’d for the events and booths I was interested in. Below are the event’s and booths I attended or attempted due to long lines (in no specific order).
- Xbox Briefing which revealed Xbox One Games and a place to play games like Halo 5: Guardians, Rise of the Tomb Raider, and Forza Motorsport 6. This event apparently was the only one with Fable Legends and Gears of War, and the only place to play all new EA games before they launch.**
- Thd Rockband 4 event which the “FREESTYLE GUITAR SOLO” GAMEPLAY was revealed. The lines were so long I did not get to play but I did see a bunch of people test it. To see the Rock Band 4: Behind the Scenes with Freestyle Guitar Solos click here. Also pre-order today and get 30 extra bonus songs!***
- Youtube: but they announced their new upcoming launch of YouTube Gaming later this summer, a brand new app and website designed to keep you connected to the games, players, and culture with videos, live streams, and the biggest community of gamers on the web. I tried it out and excited to test it out at home in the near future. Perfect for us writers and bloggers as well.
- Just Dance 2016 by Ubisoft: I’m a sucker for this game and now you can play it on your phone! (BTW what’s up with them matching me up with this hot dancer when I am clearly the Rudy?). Now my favorite game Just Dance 2016 allows players to download a free app on their smartphone and use that as a controller, similar to the Wii’s version of Just Dance. It can also be used on PlayStation 3, PlayStation 4, Xbox 360, Xbox One, Wii, and Wii U Platforms to be launched on October 20th.
- Lego: Lego®Minifigures Online Launched June 29th for Pc, Mac, Linux, IOS And Android plus I posed with the Lego Hulk!
- Turtle Beach: I honestly didn’t realize this company was still going on. The frequency and bass was amazing; I hope to try out some human size headphones considering these would not fit into my condo.
- Relic of the gods: BEST booth babes ever!! I didn’t do to the demo due to LA traffic and but here is a summary: A strategy turn-based MOBA game for everyone. Coming soon on iOS, Android, PC and Mac. Word has it that it was it’s very first year at E3.
- Butt Sniffin Pugs: I tried this out and the concept is cool but the contraption of a Wilson Basket Ball and stuff animal you have to hit in its behind to make them poop is just odd. I tried it but I don’t think I was any good.
- Butt Sniffin Pugs Game using the SpaceBeagles’ giant trackball controller (with stuffed pug butt attachment), players will finally be able to immerse themselves as a pug and explore the virtual world that is “Central Bark”.
I already have a dog therefore I don’t need learning skills on this HOWEVER if this is teaching kids to pick up their dogs excrement’s with a fun spin why not. To check it out click here.
To recap I had a phenomenal experience and one thing is for certain this show has grown leaps and bounds since I’ve been in the industry. It’s was interesting seeing the excitement over gaming innovation from kids to adults. I can’t wait for next year!
by Nina Pena on June 11th, 2015
E3 2015 this cutegeek.com girl is taking it by storm!
After 6 years at cutegeek.com I still can’t believe how many tech events we have attended. In 2009 it was my first E3 experience as media with my partner Radiris.
Last year I attended E3 alone as media for the first time and though I missed Radiris I had a blast (Though the Xbox people weren’t very nice and their booth babes were ignorant). I played in a splatoon tournament (pretty sure I lost it for the team but it was fun), I hope they have that this year.
This year I have signed up to attend PlayStation, Nintendo and Xbox briefings along with visiting some of my favorite games and accessories. I also got the E3 App which I did not install last year and it’s a huge help for anyone attending E3 2015 (especially the “maps” and “locate me”).
To follow my E3 2015 journey you check me out on twitter @nrpena or on the examiner here.
I hope to see you all attending at E3 2015 and if you want to book quick briefings fill out the below form:
by Nina Pena on June 3rd, 2015
Nintendo was the first gaming consoles we had growing up. My little brother and I mostly played Super Mario Bros. & Legends of Zelda together all the time. We mostly bonded but sometimes we would get into huge fights, especially if he was winning and I pressed reset button. Till this day my brothers are not only family but my best friends who kicked it on gaming!
This year Nintendo will be celebrating National Friends Day on June 8th!
According to a recent survey, 56 percent of the most frequent gamers play with others, including 40 percent of that group playing with their friends. Additionally, 54 percent of the most frequent game players feel that video games help them connect with friends, so why not share some quality bonding time this National Best Friends Day while playing great multiplayers games on Wii U like Mario Party 10, Super Smash Bros. for Wii U and Mario Kart 8.*
Best friends can also celebrate the day this year with each other and the New Nintendo 3DS XL system ($199.99), which offers quality upgrades like super-stable face-tracking 3D, a C Stick for enhanced controls and better battery life for increased hours of game play. The New Nintendo 3DS XL system offers online play and local multiplayer options for compatible games, so friends that have handhelds can all play games like Super Smash Bros. for Nintendo 3DS and Mario Kart 7 together. StreetPass for Nintendo 3DS is another fun way for best friends to connect, allowing Mii characters to interact and exchange greetings in passing, as well as offer bonuses in select games.*
Celebrate National Friends Day on June 8th; don’t forget to call, text or IM your best friends, they are the glue in life in many ways. I’m grateful for all my friend and familia. I hope to see all my geek friends at E3 this year!
by Nina Pena on May 19th, 2015
Happy World Wide IBD Day! I’ll never forget my first IBD attack; I was 13 and begging god to make the pain to go away in the fetal position on the bathroom floor helpless. Till this day there is no resolution but only speculation of possibly genetics that causes IBD. I have watched my mom suffer with Crohns since I was a child and the hardest thing is when my doctor told my mom I’m sick with Pan Ulcerative Colitis and Colon Cancer by 35…no mom wants to hear that. Worldwide, five million people live with Crohn’s disease and ulcerative colitis, conditions known as inflammatory bowel diseases (IBD). World IBD Day is marked on 19 May each year. World IBD Day is led by patient organisation representing 35 countries on four continents from Argentina, Australia, Brazil, Canada, 28 European nations through the umbrella organisation EFCCA, Israel, Japan, New Zealand to the United States of America. This year’s efforts center around a global video campaign encouraging anyone impacted by IBD to share their story in a short video with the unifying theme of “United We Stand.” So here is my video… https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XOI33xLkScI
Currently I’m out of remission and my last road trip for a family emergency made me think. I have to find a few apps for those with IBD especially traveling (let’s face it some gas stations restrooms are shady). In search for IBD solutions I found the below apps that help you all find a restroom near you or when you are traveling.
- Charmin Sit or Squat App helps you find clean bathrooms and available on the App store or the Google play store for free. This seems to be the best app so far.
- Flush Toilet Finder- by rustonapps- This app has had great reviews and a simple way of finding a public bathroom or restroom. It works on Apple devices and Google
- Where to Wee lets you find and rate restrooms worldwide this however also works on IOS.
- Toilet Finder and unfortunately again this only works on iOS 6.0 and later
- WC-Finder– The free big world toilet finder.
For anyone suffering with IBD, Crohns or Colitis I have found CCFA.org to be a great resource. We are not alone (which sometimes it feels that way- how could anyone know the amount of pain you are in and anxiety daily?). For 4 years Team Nincompoops walks for Take Steps in support of CCFA.org and it’s humbling to see children with the same disease. What is better is seeing all these kids that have friends and families to give them strength and support. I believe we have made some progress in educating youth (back in my day I got made fun of). Though I continue to have flair ups I do mentor and help friends who have IBD (Crohn’s or Colitis). It’s sad how many people are inconsiderate for something all of us with IBD have no control of (unless we take a crap load of pills which isn’t me nor do I believe is the answer). United we stand! I will not rest till there is a cure; I want people to be aware this is a serious disease.
by Nina Pena on May 11th, 2015
I went to the Swatch My Pet and Me with Mrs. Sizzle event in downtown Austin last week at the Swatch store.
Swatch’s quote for the new My Pet and Me line is: “The love of my life is a beastly thing: a feathery, furried, four-legged frog, a cat by day and a dog by night—a creature of my dreams, you see. We’re a happy couple, my beast and me, free to think and free to be.”
I couldn’t agree more as owner to Chloe the Wonder Dog! The new My Pet and Me line is obviously influenced by our best friends…our pets!
It was a great event that allowed dogs to partake in the festivities at the launch of the My Pet and Me collection. There were doggies treats galore and pretzel doggie bone for us humans. Not only was the new collection very cute I met some amazing doggies! One in particular who’s eyes were cut out and he is now blind; fortunately he has good parents who adopted him.
The Swatch new My Pet and Me line included the 1, 2, 3 SOLEIL, TIERGARTEN, CATTITUDE, ANDY BABY, WILD TOTEM, and CHOUPINOU that start at $60.00 and can be purchased here!
Thank you Swatch for the invite; as a dog lover I enjoyed the event and the launch of your new line of My Pet and Me.
by Nina Pena on May 6th, 2015
SXSW each year grows immensely and I think 2015 technology had a huge presence than the past (though the rain sucked).
This year my favorite app was GINX; a new app that former NFL Star Gerome Sapp launched while there.
A year ago I met Gerome Sapp while he was introducing his vision of GINX at SXSW 2014.
For the longest time I thought he must have changed his name to Gerome’s App but that is a HUGE negative. I embarrassing may have asked him that after an adult beverage….but it’s truly is Gerome Sapp (though if he did that would be a hilarious branding concept).
SO What’s GINX?!?!
Glad you asked! Like my day job I created bullet points:
- Every community is focused around the hashtag initiative and its ideas, interests, and passions.
- Like flashmobs, these communities expire after a certain amount of time.
- Participants vote on each other’s images to determine the best represention of the hashtag.
- When the time expires, the participant with the most community votes for their image is crowned STAR of that hashtag and could win big rewards!
- When adding an asterisk in front of your hashtag in Instagram it’s called “Ginx’ing.” (I got to stay current with the social media lingo or this cutegeek will turn into old geek).
If you are still confused on what the GINX app is this video can help guide you on how to utilize GINX with social media:
GINX is available on iPhones and Androids. Start Ginx’ing with me cutegeek fans! While my profile is not fully done on GINX during SXSW I used the asterisks in front of the the hashtag allot to find hot topics.
To check out my Q&A with Gerome Sapp & GINX on examiner.com click here. Happy Ginx’ing cutegeek fans!
by Nina Pena on May 5th, 2015
One of the perks of moving back to Austin is ACL and SXSW (and sometimes not with our horrible driving skills and traffic).
What is the ACL (Austin City Limits) Festival? Only the best outdoor music festival that happens in Austin annually in October at Zilker Park. The ACL Music Festival has eight stages where musical groups from genres including rock, indie, country, folk, electronic and hip hop perform for fans. Approximately 75,000 people attend the festival each day. In addition to the music performances, there are food and drinks, an art market, a kids area for families, and other activities for attendees.*
This year the line up is fierce! The main headliners are Foo Fighters, Drake ,The Weekend and The Strokes… WHAT?! I have loved Dave Grohl since I was in high school and “Learn to Fly” dropped. Ever since then I have gone to a few concerts including being in the mosh pit (along with a little hearing lose). I have never seen the Strokes or Drake so I will be at those stages or at the beer booth. Here is official ACL line up for both weekends and you can buy your tickets here.
Also if you plan to attend sign up for the ACL E-List. Being a member of the ACL Festival E-List gives you some sweet perks. You’ll get official updates throughout the year, super-special deals, the inside line on Official Late Night Shows, contests, artist giveaways and much, much more.**
I’m sure you are wondering what does tech and ACL have in common? Simple there are usually tech booths all over the park and allot of tech goes into each stage set-up plus while the concert is going on (and don’t forget the massive social media going on). If you would like to keep up with the festival I will be tweeting at https://twitter.com/nrpena throughout the events.
Hope to see some of my cutegeek fan there and my friends as well. This year looks like it will be Epic…CAN’T WAIT!
**Per ACL site
by Nina Pena on April 6th, 2015
I know this is late (been under the weather) but better late than never! The SXSW music portion has always been my passion and this year was amazing for those with the free Guest Pass wristband! I’ll start with my favorite SXSW event with Spoon at Auditorium Shores (walking distance from the condo). It was a fantastic show with Spoon; not only did they have an amazing show they had an epic fireworks show in true Texas style.
by Nina Pena on April 2nd, 2015
Watching the Spurs win chillin with Willie Nelson, LOL kidding!
Well after 2 weeks of SXSW of poor eating, going a 100 miles a minute, late nights and lack of sleep I’m out of remission and my Pan Ulcerative Colitis is back in black. We also had a family emergency so my posts are behind but never fear!
I have several drafted and will be posting Music/ Film SXSW recap, new products reviews, and new apps to check out throughout today and tomorrow.
Can’t nobody take my pride. Can’t nobody hold me down, Oh no. I got to keep on movin’! Stay tuned cutegeek fans.
by Nina Pena on March 26th, 2015
The SXSW Interactive Gaming Expo is my favorite event (besides Auditorium Shores Concerts). It combines developers, manufacturers and fans of the gaming culture with its diverse range of events of geek culture with the cross-console video game world. It’s held at Palmer auditorium in Austin (walking distance from my casa) and is kid friendly. The most adorable thing about this is to see little kids geek out on games like my little brothers and I use to back in the day.
There was allot to see and explore at the SXSW Gaming Expo so I am going to highlight what I found the most interesting.
Plotagon is the creative animation app that develops students’ skills in critical thinking, creativity and writing. The Plotagon character creator lets students create themselves, famous and notable people, or characters and then the creative writing takes off from there. When I wrote my first play (at 12) I wish I had this app (though in my day we had beepers…not smartphones). I’m so jealous yet excited of kid’s technology now a days! Definitely check out Plotagon especially if you are a teacher; I believe getting kids engaged with creative writing and technology is brilliant!
“Road’s? Where we’re going we don’t need roads!” That quote seems more relevant now than back then because during SXSW the AeroMobil flying car that transforms in seconds from an automobile to an airplane was introduced. AeroMobil is a flying car that perfectly makes use of existing infrastructure created for automobiles and planes, and opens doors to real door-to-door travel. As a car it fits into any standard parking space, uses regular gasoline, and can be used in road traffic just like any other car. As a plane it can use any airport in the world, but can also take off and land using any grass strip or paved surface just a few hundred meters long.* Continue Reading…